Thursday, November 14, 2013

Paper Miniature Wargaming - And It's Logical Conclusion

Counts as Stormraven.
When I was a kid, I spent a lot of time wargaming. Statistically speaking, it's likely that contributed to my ability in math and literature, as studies show that children who play pen-and-paper wargames or role playing games excel in those areas. Maybe it's just because geeks tend to be good at both things?

Regardless, in those days Computer RPGs were essentially unheard of, and what there was boiled down to puzzle games. No, back then, we played on paper. Computer war games were a real thing, but they were so primitive graphically that they might as well be categorized as paper anyway. Miniature tabletop games existed, like BattleTech and Chainmail, but no one I knew played those, and I viewed those with the same amount of awe and envy that I would have reserved for astronauts.

So what did I play, then? Well, BattleTech, with counters. Car Wars, with maps and counters. BattleTroops, with maps and counters (god I loved that game!). And a weird Avery Hill American Civil War game 'Chancelorsville.' To this day, I don't think I ever played a legitimate game of Chancelorsville. The rules were fairly involved, and I never bothered even looking at the scenarios. But my brother and I would move the pieces around, roll dice at each other, and have a great time in general.

So, with a fairly large financial investment in miniatures and tabletop games, why do I find myself going back to free or print and play games more and more lately? Because they were more fun! I do enjoy the hobby side of miniature gaming, but it's a very different sort of pleasure one gets from modeling and painting than actually leading your little army to glorious victory or ignominious defeat.

Long story short, I've got some 'miniature' stand up paper style cutouts I am going to make this weekend. These are along the lines of the old D&D paper punch out minis you used to be able to buy. I'm going to stick them to self-adhesive tile and cut them out, like I did with my dungeon tiles from not too long ago.

Once I have a good bunch of 'figures' I am going to see if I can find a nice generic game to play with them. Combat Cards or Hordes of the Things are the leading contenders in my mind at the moment, but we'll see what works out. Expect to see some progress pics over the weekend!

No comments: