Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Obscure Video Game Review - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Ok, so this is considerably less obscure than the usual entrant in this series, but I figure it qualifies since it's kind of a weird game, it came out a couple of years ago, and the studio that made it went bankrupt. Since the studio's gone, the odds of this weird jewel of a game having follow ups seems pretty slim.
 
Which is a shame, honestly. It was a pretty cool game. I love sandbox fantasy RPGs. Skyrim is the current pinnacle of the genre, but this game, which came out around the same time, is nearly as good. It's just different. Reckoning involves a higher fantasy setting, and a more action oriented play engine than TES:V. To use a sci-fi analogy, it's more like Borderlands than Fallout. I like that analogy more now that I really think about it, and gamers who've played both wilol know what I mean. For fantasy buffs, the closest thing I can think of is Dragon Age II as the gameplay styles are very similar, as well as the stylized three class fighting (fighter, mage, rogue) as well as the 'two styles for each class' schtick.
 
The back story was put together by RA Salvatore and the visual design was done by Todd McFarlane. So caveat emptor. I like McFarlane, and generally do not like Salvatore, but it works in this instance.
 
At the end of the day, it's a fun game with a lot of play time, sadly hampered by the fact that the franchise seems to have died with the developer.

2 comments:

MIK said...

I also picked this up recently, being a sucker for console RPGs as it is. Looking forward to starting it up.

CounterFett said...

It's a lot of fun. There's a code inside for N7 armor in my version, and you know my stance on that.

Also, I played the demo about a year and a half ago and really liked the cahracter customization.