Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Big Huge Gaming Project (Part V) - Mockup Harder

If you ever decide to cut concentric rings out of basswood with a boxcutter, I have one pivotal piece of advice...don't.
Well, the weather outside is frightful, but my Youtube playlist is delightful. I guess that's my prose-challenged mind's way of saying that it's too wet outside to paint, so I progressed to the next Heavy Object for the Big Huge Gaming Project.

I very intelligently decided to work upside down on this. It worked better than you would think. And yes, that's the coolest hat ever.
I had a hard time deciding which Object I wanted to make next. Since I had started with the Grim Reaper (or rather it's improved Reaper II variant) for the Information Alliance, I suppose I should have made a Capitalist Corporations machine, but like I mentioned earlier, they really don't have any I like in the books yet. So I decided to make the Wing Balancer, a Faith Organization Machine from the third book.

Next on was the support struts. I had planned on having this diagonal, rather than flat, but I had some poor conceptualization on the dimensions. This ended up looking okay anyway.
I suppose I could use it for Faith Organization and Capitalist Corporation both. Since, you know, everyone just paints their Objects white anyway. Oh, and since I feel like the Capitalist Corporations would be pretty good at sussing out industrial secrets. Why design your own when you can just bribe someone for the schematics?

With the last ring attached. This will function as the base, and serves, for lack of a more detailed explanation, as the Object's plenum chamber.
I'm pretty happy with how this has turned out so far. Hopefully, once the glue has cured, the rings will hold the weight of the reactor. Then I'll have to figure out how to attach the flight vanes and what I want to use for the main gun. Should be fun!

No comments: