Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Counterfett's Big Huge Wargaming Project!

Yes, I just reused the Killer Robot Countdown Logo with new text...why?
So, it's been a while since I have really posted anything gaming/hobby related. I've been noticing that my Wargaming/Toy Collecting blog has been sliding more and more into the Toy Collecting side of things (not to mention anime, seriously, don't mention it. I've had that banner for a long time and I don't feel like changing it). So, rather than just accept this descent into gaming irrelevance, I have decided to do something about it!

What does this call for? A new army build! Nothing gets me back in the hobby mood quite like the idea of spending money on something new and exciting! Since my 'Paper and Tile Army' project worked pretty well, but is near the end of its cycle, I figured it was high time to start up something new.

So what do I want to do?

Really?

I know! How about some kind of small scale wargaming? Like really small? I cut my teeth on 6mm back in the day (BattleTech, while squishy on scale, is technically a 1/285th scale game), and I sort of feel like getting back into it. I miss the ability to run a truly massive mechanized force, on the cheap, and on a regular size table (I do have a big gaming table, made from surplus doors, but it's always a pain in the butt to clean off!).

Then, I had a great idea! Lightbulb, as Gru would say. Why not Heavy Objects? Seriously, this could be great. I have Combat Cards, which has the 'Behemoth' class unit. In 6mm scale, the signature 50 meter sphere of an object would be 6 inches in diameter. If I want to go even smaller, I can make the scale jump to 2mm. Ground Zero Games has Germy's Micro Minis at very reasonable rates, and the Sphere of an object would only be 2 inches! I could use a rubber bouncy ball at that scale!

On the other hand, if I go with 6mm, I have GHQ minis that could be used for supporting units, which might be more appropriate, given that tank and vehicle design (other than objects) stagnated in the Heavy Object universe, meaning that modern or near future looking tanks and infantry would be more useful than grav or hover stuff.

Decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

Tomsche said...

I did something similar when I still wargamed, playing Future War Commander with Gashapon Gundams, supported by a hotch potch of 6mm vehicles and infantry

http://tomsche69.blogspot.be/2011/01/fwc-battle-report-andrayadans-vs.html

CounterFett said...

Oooh!Yeah, that is more or less what I'm shooting for. When I see that, it makes me wonder if maybe Objects might just be too big for combined arms though. The sphere of even a smallish obejct would be bigger than a good chunk of the terrain!

Maybe I'll mock up a few and see if it is feasible.

Thanks for sharing Tomsche!