Friday, April 25, 2014

LEGO 79007 - Battle At The Black Gate

Remember to click for practically life-size enlargement!
Hey all, Counterfett here. As cool as some of the minifigs from this set are, I always thought this was a bit of a weird one. Honestly, it's not even a complete wall. It's one gate segment, a tower, and a handful of dudes. I guess it does come with an eagle, but I think we've already discussed just how disappointing those eagles are. I guess the weird scale issues this set had are what made it one of the easiest of the LotR sets to find on clearance.

In any event, this set includes a couple orcses (the mordor kind, which is a bit of a rarity, considering how many zillions of them are portrayed in the actual movies), Gandalf the White, Aragorn in his guise as the King of Gondor, and the Mouth of Sauron.

The Mouth is easily the belle of the box, though Aragorn the King is moderately awesome as well. The Mouth has a unique crown/headpiece that covers most of his face, just like in the movies. The rest of his parts are pretty stock. His face is neat, and comes with the toothy mouth lovingly rendered. He comes with the (now standard) big medieval sword. I, for one, prefer the older, harder plastic round tip kingdom swords, but I guess my opinion doesn't matter that much. He also rides the new style horse (that can rear up if the feet are attached to a studded base plate for support)

1 comment:

Spiderpope said...

I picked up this set for my kids. I think this particular quote from their "siege" sums up the kit:

"Yeah but your wall only goes that far, so my men go round it and shoot you from the back".