Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Se7enth Edition? Seriously?


Games Workshop never ceases to amaze me. It seems like just an eyeblink ago that everyone was worried about the release of 6th edition. I never even bought sixth edition! I don't remember when exactly 6e came out, but I found a post from June 2012 here on my own blog saying it had been confirmed it was coming out. Now we have word that 7th will be out end of May.


I'm kind of unsure how to feel about this.

On the one hand, I feel a little vindicated for not spending the fat wad of dough to get 6e and the spate of add ons I would have needed to actually play. Think of all the extra toys I have bought in the last year and a half! Pretty fantastic, honestly.

On the other hand, I like supporting the hobby, and even though I don't like GW, I appreciate that they have been a very large support column for the industry for a long time (I started noticing it shortly after TSR went the way of the dodo, but it might have been even longer).

I think loyalty to my gamer brothers and sister has to trump what I feel for GW, however. Throw the loyal gamers who have actually dropped dough on 6e a bone here. Could a pdf update not suffice? Do we really have to have a whole new edition? How much is this core book going to cost? Last one was $70, right? I feel like $100 is not going to surprise me.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be mistaken here. I really would. I just don't think I will be.

4 comments:

paws4thot said...

Well, for me churning new editions that fast in an attempt to extract money from us, and nothing to do with benefitting the hobby.

CounterFett said...

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking too. I don't feel like I have a right to complain, since I didn't realy buy into 6th.

I just feel bad for people who JUST finished buying 6th. I know there are a bunch of them out there.

sonsoftaurus said...

Latest I've heard is that there will in fact be a PDF update for those who already have 6th, essentially a large errata. Meanwhile, the "6.5" will include rules from Stronghold Assault and Escalation books, so new players will buy $100 book vs. $75+$50+33 (assuming they wanted those). If true, both make me feel a lot better about an "edition change" two years in.

CounterFett said...

Hey SoT! I hope that's the case. That sounds considerably less outrageous.