Saturday, August 16, 2014

My New Sword - Cyborg Ninja Sword

Remember, you can click to enlarge for a closer look.

Well, I've been looking for this sword for a long time. Basically, as some of you might have guessed from the title, this is based on one of Raiden's swords from the Metal Gear series. It's not the curved, silver one he uses through most of Revengeance, that has the handle slots to attach to his feet, but the somewhat more realistic one he uses at the beginning of the game.


Ever since that scene where he pulls it out of the scabbard when he faces off against the first enemies of the game, I've wanted one like it. Now, it doesn't have the carbon fiber-esque patterns on the handle, but that was the unrealistic part of the sword anyway.

In terms of the real world sword, it's pretty cool. I ordered it from trueswords.com, because that's the only site I could find that has it, and also I have always been happy with them in the past. It's not available to order right now, sadly, but hopefully they'll have it back in soon. It has a bit of mixed reviews, but as long as you are familiar with the type of sword it is and know what you're getting into, it's a great buy. I figured, that since I have not found any real reviews of this worth reading, I'd give one from the perspective of someone who actually knows anything about swords and what they're used for.
  • It's light, which is nice, as most swords are outlandishly overweight. Mostly because people who make and buy them have no idea what a sword is supposed to feel like. This one's about right, honestly.
  • The grip is a little too short. A couple more inches would make it a true two hand grip. As it stands, it's about a hand-and-a-half grip. It's true to the proportions of the sword from the game, and it's not that big a deal anyway, but there you go.
  • Wrapping. The wrap on the grip it comes with is not paracord, but nylon shoe laces. As such, it's stretchy, and not a good choice in general. Before I do any messing around with this, I was planning on re-wrapping it with OD paracord anyway. I may be a little obsessive, but I sort of don't trust a sword grip I haven't wrapped myself anyway.
  • Scabbard. It's not bad, honestly. The only negative to it is that it is not ambidextrous. It's made for right-handers to wear on the back with the attached straps. If you're a lefty, cut the straps and make a frog to attach it at your off side hip. If you want to wear it at your side and you're a righty, you'll have to wear it blade up. Katanas and the like are supposed to be worn blade up anyway, so this might not give you any problems.
  • Blade. Mine came sharp. This is something I should be able to say a lot more often. Seriously, I get that a lot of people use swords as decor, but getting a sword that's sharp out of the box should be the rule, not the exception.
  • Attractive. The two tone blade just looks awesome. Hopefully the finish is tough. I don't have any scratches or discoloration yet. I suppose if anything happens to it, I can always tape the edge and tough it up with spray paint (this is the sort of thing that growing up with my dad makes you okay with).
  • Length. It's 35 inches overall, with about 26 of that being blade. This puts it in 'real sword' territory in my mind, as opposed to the 'sword shaped machete' category of most 'ninja' style full tang blades. This was the primary reason I got this. After the fact that it's Raiden's sword, of course.
And there you have it folks, my first really comprehensive sword review. Hope you had fun. If you like this sort of thing, let me know, I will do more of them with the ones I have and the ones I will get in the future. Also, if these come back in stock and you want one, you should get it from Trueswords.com. I've been really satisfied every time I've dealt with them.

No comments: