Wednesday, October 7, 2015

LEGO Frostgrave - Thugs and War Hounds


So, as outlined in yesterday's post "The Plan," here are the Thugs and War Hounds I put together for my weekend game. I figured I would post my shots of them as I build them, as I invariably forget to take pictures during a game, unless I am playing Solo.

I didn't want to get too adventurous here. I have more interesting canines, but since this is likely to be a one-off game, and I have so many War Hounds, I figured it would be best to keep them simple and identical. I am planning to label the bases with a silver Sharpie (i.e. "War Hound #1, etc.) for ease of record keeping. I have like 200 of those bases, so I'm not terribly worried about using them this way.

The Thugs had a little more thought put into them, I suppose, since they are people, and I wanted their figures to represent that they had no armor, and only rudimentary combat ability. Thugs in Frostgrave equate to tavern rowdies rather than real soldiery, and I think I did an okay job showing that here.

4 comments:

Stu Rat said...

I think frostbite is your #1 enemy.

CounterFett said...

I'm pretty much going with a Skyrim-esque assumption that any kind of armor works in the cold, and that you can even swim in it. Seriously, Dovahkiin never gets chilly and can swim in dwarven plate. Plus, I don't have that many cold weather looking minifigs. Perhaps they have cloaks that they took off when action was imminent?

On the flip side of the coin, I think the actual miniatures put out for this game make the soldiers all look too heavily armored. Since thugs have no armor, and the heaviest armor even in the game is chainmail, I wanted to have them visually distinct.

eriochrome said...

I think I was planning on using that outfit for the barbarian and just the basic green dragon trooper for the thug. My plan was to mainly use the weapons to distinguish the model class and keep them to one faction to make it easier to tell the forces apart: Red Lions, Green Dragons, LOTR Elves, LOTR Humans, LOTR Dwarves, and LOTR ORCS/Goblins.

CounterFett said...

I have enough of these berserker/bandits from a few waves ago to use for all my thugs. I am using cloaks to mark my rogues. The crossbowman will have a crossbow or flintlock pistol (I hate LEGO crossbows with a passion, so I'll use pistols if I can get away with it). I haven't decided on my wizard or apprentice yet. I'm thinking enchanter, but we'll see what shakes loose as I go through the bin of minifig parts.