Thursday, December 31, 2015

Upcoming Blogger Changes - And Maintenance!


Hey all, Counterfett here! Today we are doing something a little different, in that I am trying to provide a little real world service reminder for all of you who use Blogger, either as writers or readers. I do a little bit of both, as I am sure many of us do, and I noticed something potentially alarming. That being that google is discontinuing support of non-google accounts in Friend Connect.

This doesn't sound like a big deal, and it really isn't. Google has every right to not share their toys. However, the significance of this for people who regularly use Blogger is as follows: many of your subscribers are 'Following' your site from accounts that are no longer going to be supported by Friend Connect. They were not notified this happened, nor were you. They were simply removed from your follower list, and you stopped appearing in their feeds.

Now, Google may tell you that this is not the case, but it is unfortunately true. How do I know? Well, two things. I have lost 8 Followers in the past month, which corresponds to about 4% of my consistent readership. Just gone. Without a trace. Well, maybe not without a trace. While I am sure some people could have unfollowed me because I'm just a terrible person (and that doesn't bother me much), this is not the whole story. See, one of these accounts which was deleted from my Followers roll was my own, from my Yahoo! account. I can confirm that I did not unsubscribe to myself, nor was I notified at the Yahoo! account that I would be removed.

So, if you have not noticed your Followers numbers dipping, you soon will. If you are following blogs from a non-Friend-Connect supported account, I encourage you to take steps to find another way to follow. In all likelihood, these blogs will simply vanish from your reading list or RSS, and you will have only your memory or web history to find them again.

On an only quasi-related note, I have recently undertaken a campaign to stop sending readers to Examiner. The terminated my account a few months back, and kept all of my articles but didn't pay me anything they owed me or anything that my articles have generated since. They are a corrupt and unworthy publication, and I advise you not to use their services.

Thank you for your time, and have a happy new year!

No comments: