Wednesday, January 13, 2016

D&D - Oh God Here We Go Again


Well, I got the Fantasy RPG bug again. Pretty sure this has something to do with Mrs. Fett wanting to re-watch Log Horizon, but it could also be my recent stint of online JRPGs (see above, lol). In any event, I was trying to think of what sorts of things I might want to try playing, since it has been a while. I had a pretty good run with my home made tile system and Bryce the Stern using the Swords & Wizardry rules a while back. I might return to that, but while I was thinking about it, I figured I might as well look at doing it right.

Right being, of course, 80s era geek vernacular for Dungeons & Dragons. See, I played D&D when I was little. I mean real little. Then I missed AD&D. Then I was back on board for AD&D 2E (who remembers class kits from the first time they came around?). Then there was a bit of a gap before 3e came out. I've never been shy about admitting that d20 was my favorite thing to ever happen to pen and paper gaming. But I got a bit burned out on gaming in general for a while, and when I came back, things like Warhammer and Space Hulk monopolized my time. So, I somehow managed to miss all of 4e.

Well, 5th Edition is out these days, and I haven't even really looked at it. Wizards of the Coast, some of my favorite game people (after Catalyst Game Labs, because hey, BattleTech) has a free basic edition posted at their site, which I promptly downloaded to examine. I might give it a spin, since it's been an awful long time since I played some geniune D&D. Swords and Wizardry is pretty darn close, but not quite the same. It's like drinking Coca-Cola after a stint of Sam's Choice.

Here's the links if anyone is interested:

Player's Guide

Dungeon Master's Guide

No comments: