Friday, January 22, 2016

Making A Sling Bow On The Cheap - Part I

Part I: Getting Your Sh-tuff Together.

Hey all, Counterfett here. I love hunting. I like archery. I like slingshots. Unfortunately, since I also have a lot of other hobbies that are more accessible and year round than hunting and archery, they tend to get the lion's share of the budget. So that means that most of my 'outdoorsy' projects tend to be done on the cheap. I decided a while back to get myself a real cool slingshot that could shoot arrows. Unfortunately, most of them are kind of pricey, and not many have all of the features I wanted. So I decided to make my own, from 'mostly' stuff I had around the house.

Here's a rundown of what we'll be using:


- A Frame Easel. I got the smallest size I could find, since I want my sling to be compact. This one cost $4 at Michael's craft store. I am using this for the grip frame, but you could cut a piece of wood yourself if you wanted to be cheaper. You don't even need to have this part if you want to go even more el-cheapo than I did.


- 3/4" PVC Pipe with Coupling. You can alternatively use  steel pipe, a keychain ring, a brush biscuit (the specific part), or anything similar you have on hand. This is for the arrow to actually pass through, and the slings to attach to. I had this laying around my garage, but it would cost about $2 if you needed to buy it special.


- The Sling Band. A lot of people make their own from elastic tube you can buy at a hardware store or online. None of the physical stores near me actually have this on hand, so I just bought a pre-cut replacement band. This works for me since it already has a pouch (nock) built in, and the band lengths are symmetrical, which is something I have trouble with. This cost me $3.

More Stuff I forgot to photograph:

- Zip Ties. Also called cable ties, these are the clicky plastic attachers used to bundles cables. In retail we used them to attach tags or displays we didn't want customers to mess with. You will need three. Again, I had these laying around my house, but they would cost maybe $1, if you bought a small amount.

-Glue. Nothing special here. I used Aleene's Tacky glue because it is what we have on hand in ample supply. Wood glue would have been smarter, but it's not that important, and I was too lazy to go looking for it in the garage. Glue probably costs $5, but if you don't have this on hand, do-it-yourself projects like this probably aren't your thing anyway.

-Filler putty. This stuff is more important than the glue, so I got the LocTite plumbing compound. I will photograph this stuff when I get to that step to show you what I'm using, since depending on how you do this, it might be important. There's certainly ways to do this project without it, but I think it is easier to just use the stuff. I paid $5. I plan to be pretty liberal in using this, but if you were careful, you might be able to use some of it for other projects. And once you use this stuff once, you will think of a million things you have been meaning to fix that it could work for. It's that neat.

Disclaimer: Sling Bows shoot arrows via a slingshot mechanism. As such, they have all the dangers of slingshots and bows. Do not build, use, shoot, or eat a slingbow unless you understand the principles at work and how to be around them safely. Do not taunt a slingbow. Wear eye protection. Check the bands for wear before using. Discard broken or worn bands. Be ye not stupid. Don't shoot anyone.

Well, now that I've got that out of my system I will see you in part II

No comments: