Thursday, January 21, 2016

Samurai Skirmish - LEGO Shibata Katsuie

Katsuie in ONNY is one of the larger, more grown up looking characters, as befits her tough reputation. Still manages to be adorable, though. Note the absurdly lengthy ponytail.
So, I went looking for parts to start making my Oda Nobuna no Yabou themed Buntai for 'Ronin.' I had a pretty firm set of characters I wanted to make in mind, and fairly logical sets of pieces planned for how I wanted to build them. It's still a work in progress, but the first character to be completed the way I wanted her is Shibata Katsuie.

This artist portrayal of the real Shibata Katsuie, while tough, is considerably less adorable.
Shibata Katsuie, in the real world was a tough cavalry samurai, and one of the Oda faction's top commanders. He was militaristc, and quite loyal to Nobunaga. After Nobunaga died, he married Oichi, Nobunaga's younger sister. This was interestingly Oichi's second marriage, and she already had three children. When Shibata was defeated she chose to stay with him and die as well. Kinda romantic and creepy at the same time.

In the Anime, Katsuie's signature weapon is the Halberd. I just happened to have a really nice one for this project.
In ONNY, Katsuie is a formidable warrior, but poor tactician, and admittedly a bit on the foolish side. She's earnest though, and loyal to Nobuna and even, in a sideways fashion, to Saru, her main rival for Nobuna's attention.

I added this shot to show off the long ponytail I used for her.
I wanted her minifig to capture her tough, battle ready nature. I wasn't interested in portraying her big boobs, because, well, LEGO couldn't do that anyway. She has my vintage Ninja Castle samurai armor, a Halberd from the Assassin's Creed MegaBloks, and the long straight ponytail from the Lara Croft/Dinosaur Hunter from the blind bag waves. I wish I had more of this hair! She came out pretty well, though honestly, she's the easiest design to come up with, as her color scheme and attire is pretty straightforward.

No comments: