Saturday, February 20, 2016

Playing God - Building Your Own Campaign World - Pt 1


 Part 1: The Idea

Hey all, Counterfett here. I've been doing a lot of Solo Gaming in the past few years. Mostly, this has either been in other people's worlds (ie licensed material), or worlds borrowed from other media, like movies, novels, anime, or video games. It has hit the point, however, that every time I see a new thing, I want to game it.

While seeing a cool movie and wondering how to stat it out may be normal amongst gamers, I have to wonder if the lengths to which I have taken it recently are good. They say that tracing makes your drawing ability degrade, rather than improve, and I wonder if playing in other peoples' worlds rather than making my own is causing me to become a worse gamer.

So I have decided to make my own setting.

This is something I have never done before. I hardly know where to start. I think, what I am going to do is start with a core concept, what I want the game to be , and then make a story that expands ever outward from there. There are likely to be some themes that are borrowed or mirrored in other settings I have played or read about, but I am going to try and stay way from that, except in maybe the broadest strokes.

This will probably be an exercise in gaming with LEGO, since I have honestly given up on miniatures completely. I cannot rule out that it might be a paper only RPG, but I think it's harder to solo play that sort of thing and be fair.


No comments: