Sunday, May 29, 2016

Custom Amiibo Animal Crossing Villager- TOM FAWKES edition

Be aware that I am writing as I am doing it, and the tenses may change as this is a work in progress, but until I send it because it is a surprise I will not be posting my journey. So bear with me, ok?

I am making a custom Animal Crossing Amiibo, the villager. This is my first custom so I am, in fact, making it for a gift for one of my favorite Youtube/twitch personalities. His name is TOM Fawkes, and one of his identifiers that he uses (or props rather) is known as Balloonicorn. I figured this was simple enough to do, he may appreciate it, and I get practice for my future custom- Villager with bear hat (the one I always play as: complete with flame shirt or the like, red shoes, bear hat, and I'll be making a new leaf symbol of him to hold).

So I got a villager and to start I took off the plastic casing. I soaked off the cardboard after I peeled what I could. In the picture you can see I removed the photo from both sides, and set it aside. I wanted to remove the glued paper section that was still on the plastic case. I soaked with water and used my fingers to remove as much paper as possible. HINT: using hot water will help remove more of the glue making it overall easier to get a clean look. I then used cotton swabs in a bit of acetone to remove what was left over as well as a bit of elbow grease. That ink gets good and stuck! But be careful because too much acetone will dissolve the plastic and you will be left with no casing. In my case, I did one side with rubbing then washed with water, then moved onto the next side. It's like rinse, lather, and repeat!

The paper cardstock and clear case part:


I then worked with a paint program to create the duel sided card for the display. I can glue the case when completed, but I will not because TOM may want to display it with his one-of-a-kind amiibo. I put them both on a single page, printed landscape, on 8 x 10 setting, and made sure that the picture was not fit to screen. Worked to the right scale and everything. Perfect fit. Glued down.


Tom Fawkes:

Balloonicorn backing:

Onto assembly, or disassembly as it were. I pried open the gold from black part of the amiibo. It is kinda glued, so use patience. I didn't but it didn't matter as I was only interested in keeping the black case and the chip. I will be creating a custom top portion soon.

The villager's foot is actually molded onto the golden smash portion of the amiibo, making it a challenge to remove. I got half of it off no problem, until of course I yanked too hard and the leg popped off. No problem, glue to the rescue. Especially, since most customs I've seen have either been recast, strictly painted, or altered using glue. So I figure I'm safe there. It was at that point I realized that no amount of tugging will cleanly remove that foot from the stand. The clear supports ripped off the color, no sweat I'm repainting anyway. But still, why does it even need that part? Really Nintendo? But I digress.

Front view unaltered:
 Rear view unaltered:
  The chip inside (white), black case, and golden bottom part: See where it broke- that's where I pried it:
 Taken apart:
 Remolded: See the left hand brought up, and right arm brought down- he may end up holding something...
 Fixing the leg with a bit of glue:
Stands fine all on its own:


Painting it with Tom's favorite color, balloonicorn symbol, and other accessories.

Face painted a lighter shade- toasted marshmallow and sunkissed peach.
Shirt changed to orange and shoes to coordinate as well as khaki pants!


Face features on and icon painted onto shirt.


Testing on stand so I can make board the right size.


Put on accessories, glued wii fit board after painting on the grey on the white clay, and attach the figure to the custom base.





I also made a bit to cover the amiibo bottom paper part with some left over foil stock from my massive scrapbooking collection. Really makes a punch and gives it a much more lux and custom look.

Finalized box form Tom:
 Here is a shot of the orange strip I cut and glued. Looks way better in person:
 Finalized Balloonicorn box form:


See how I kept it separate so that he can display as he chooses. The orange works with grey but much better with the orange TOM face.

Update 5-29-2016: I sent it already in March of this year and he said he likes it. A success in my book!
Here is the final TOM form- complete with custom interchangeable shades of yellow and blue.





No comments: